Today’s Workout: August 10, 2021

Set out to finish a 10-mile run this morning–with no breakfast before–but only made it 10K. My longest fasted run, previously, had been 8 miles and I've completed a number of 7-mile (and shorter) fasted runs. But today it was not to be–much hotter and more humid that those runs in the past.

I stopped for a quick water break at 5-mile point and then resumed running. At 6.2 miles, though, I decided the wise thing to do would be to stop and walk the rest of my planned 10-miles. My heart rate had really kicked up, presumably due to low electrolytes at that point.

I walked 4.25 miles back home. The last half mile of walk was pretty hard, considering how fit and heat acclimated I am. My leg muscles were just depleted. It was HOT and I had sweated off about 2 gallons by that point (seemed like 2 gallons, anyway!).


I mixed the juice of a lemon into water and added about 1/4 tsp of sea salt. Drank that quickly. Ate the lemon pulp with salt, then a glass of regular water. Later had another glass of lemon juice with sea salt and water.

Easy Bike Ride

After about an hour break following the run and walk, I changed into my cycling shorts and top and went out for a bike ride around the neighborhood. Rain started up almost as quickly as I got on the bike and there was thunder in the area, so I circled around and came back to the house. Registered about 2 miles in the first leg of cycling

The rain didn't really materialize. I watered some garden plants while waiting, hoping that it WOULD rain. But wherever the thunderstorm was it moved on.

I got back on the bike after a 30 minute wait and set off again. It started raining again, pretty quickly after I left the house. But this time I decided to just finish the ride because no thunder and I didn't want to change clothe. AND I was ready to shower off all the sweat from the run and get to work

I rode my easy neighborhood loops and back home for a total of just over 7 miles for second bicycling outing of the day.


At this point (1:30 p.m.), I was still fasting. Only thing I'd taken in was the lemon-salt water (and black coffee early). After finishing the bike ride, I hydrated some more with water and a LaCroix (pampelmousse) but waited to eat until 2:30 p.m.

I ended up fasting from 7:30 p.m. Monday night until 2:30 p.m. Tuesday afternoon. That's a 19-hour fast and during which I burned up approximately 1,545 calories from activities alone. Not bad.

Garmin Activity Report for Sheree Martin - August 10 2021.

At 2:30 p.m. I had my “break-fast” consisting of a large tomato from my garden, with salt, homemade tuna salad made with: canned white albacore tuna, stalk of celery, 1 T of my own home-canned squash-pepper relish, 1-1/2 Tbsp plain Greek yogurt, 1-1/2 Tbsp Hellmann's mayo, and dried dill weed.

Around 4 p.m. I had another small tomato, a bowl of plain Greek yogurt with 1/3 cup of frozen blueberries (I grew them, so chemical free), about 1 Tbsp of pecans, 1 Tbsp hazelnuts and cinnamon After that I had 2 scoops of NorCal organics whey protein in 12 oz. unsweetened coconut milk.

Update: Just before bed, I had about 6 oz of Gerolsteiner mineral water, fish oil capsule and 1 magnesium glycinate. More on the supplement brands I use available on a post I will create soon.

That's it for this training post!

Posted by